Head ChefApply Now
This position is responsible for supervising, preparing and serving the daily meals to the tenants and guests at Southview Senior Communities. This position must fulfill expectations of exceptional customer service.
Eden Prairie Senior Living
Duties and Responsibilities
Job Function: Supervision of Dietary Services Department
- Oversee all food production.
- Order food and supplies.
- Authorize food service invoices.
- Utilize the computer.
- Record meal census daily.
- Maintain bulletin boards and posted information for employees.
- Work with staff to provide food for special events.
- Comply with company and property emergency policy and procedures.
- Demonstrate to the regulating authority knowledge of food-borne disease, prevention, application of the hazard analysis critical control point principles and the requirement of the Minnesota Food Code.
- Demonstrate good emergency decision making, including responding appropriately in emergency or stressful situations.
- Delegate tasks appropriately.
- Aid in planning food service annual operating budget.
- Consistently monitor food service expenses to stay within monthly budget.
- Must wear proper uniform in accordance with Southview Senior Communities uniform policy.
- Premier participation requirements.
Job Function: Supervision of Food Service Employees
- Recruit, interview, hire, orient/train, supervise and evaluate all food service employees according to [Name of company] policy.
- Schedule and monitor food service work schedules.
- Provide ongoing training of food service staff to ensure compliance with safety and sanitation practices.
- Maintain employee records and files for food service employees.
Job Function: Receiving and Storage of Food Service Products
- Receive and examine food products and supplies for quality and quantity.
- Place food products and supplies in dry storage, refrigerator, cooler and/or freezer to ensure food safety.
- Utilize proper storage containers.
- Label and date storage containers.
- Record shortages.
- Utilize proper storage techniques in compliance with Minnesota Food Code.
Job Function: Food Production
- Plan weekly menu.
- Prepare meals according to daily meal census.
- Read and adjust recipes.
- Utilize food preparation tools, equipment and appliances in a safe, sanitary method.
- Weigh, measure, mix, bake and cook ingredients.
- Apply professional knowledge of nutrition and dietary needs of older adult population.
- Minimize waste.
- Ensure best practices to comply with Food and Beverage License requirements.
- Wear gloves and hair restraint when working with ready to eat foods.
Job Function: Safe Food Handling Skills and Practices
- Practice strict personal hygiene.
- Monitor and document time and temperature of food and appliances daily.
- Thaw food properly.
- Keep raw products and ready to eat foods separate.
- Avoid cross-contamination.
- Cook to required minimal internal temperatures.
- Hold hot foods at 1400 F or above and cold food at 410 F or below.
- Cool cooked foods properly.
- Reheat to internal temperature of 1650 F for 15 seconds.
Job Function: Customer Service and Meal Presentation
- Meet mealtime schedule.
- Apply appropriate portion control for older adult population.
- Plate meal attractively, including attractively garnishing the plates.
- Maintain high quality food standards.
- Listen and respond appropriately to tenants and guest complaints and concerns.
- Keep Residence Director informed of customer satisfaction concerns and practices.
Job Function: Sanitation of Food Service Area
- Maintain clean, organized and sanitary work areas.
- Ensure and assist with general cleaning of food service area to maintain a safe, clean kitchen.
- Have cleaning schedules in place for all staff.
- Properly dispose of trash.
- Recycle cans, plastic, and cardboard in proper areas.
Job Function: Operation and Maintenance of Facility, Equipment and Appliances
- Follow all safety precautions and instructions when operating food service equipment and using chemicals. Educate employees to do the same.
- Notify Residence Director of equipment failure and malfunction.
- Demonstrate a strong respect for property, equipment and supplies.
Job Function: Other duties as assigned
- Support the Mission and Values of Southview Senior Communities.
- This position reports to and is supervised by the Residence Director.
- Develop and maintain good working relationship with all employees.
- Establish positive relationships with tenants, guests and vendors.
- Exposure to moderate to minimal noise levels.
- Inside work while assisting tenants.
- Minimal exposure to Blood borne Pathogens, Infectious Diseases.
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes or airborne particles.
- Exposure to extreme cold and extreme heat.
- Exposure to unpredictable people, behaviors, situations and pets.
- Exposure to illnesses and frailties of tenants.
- High school education.
- Previous work experience with food service, production and cooking.
- Current Serv Safe Certificate.
- Understand and communicate food service vocabulary.
- Be punctual, with a good attendance record.
- Be mature and emotionally stable using calm and kind tone of voice, remaining calm in difficult or unusual circumstances.
- Be able to prioritize and organize work effectively and efficiently, staying on task.
- Be flexible and adaptable to changing situations.
- Be compassionate and work with tact and ethical awareness.
- Work as a team member with other food service personnel, site employees and Housing Manager.
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills.
Other Specialized Knowledge and Abilities:
This position requires incumbent to have:
- A service-oriented mindset.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Ability to understand and relate well to senior population.
- Ability to read and complete necessary paperwork.